Bloody Mucus from Nose: Causes and Treatment
The discharge of bloody mucus from nose can occur due to two reasons: Upper nose bleeding and Lower nose bleeding. Generally, lower nose bleeding does not require any kind of medical attention, unless the bleeding does not stop. Bleeding, in this case, usually occurs in the lower septum which is within the lower nose. Nose septum acts as a dividing partition between the two tissues and cavities.
The channels in the nose are separated by the septum and these channels contain blood vessels. There are chances for the blood vessels to be injured as they are close to the surface causing the nose to bleed. Upper nose bleed cases are very rare and bleeding is very high in such cases. Bleeding occurs within the nose and the blood flows down from the back of the throat and mouth.
- Trauma due to violent blow or a smack is the most common cause of nose bleeding.
- Mucus present in the nose, often becomes dry causing irritation and leads to nose picking which causes bleeding.
- Indoor heat during winter causes dryness of the membranes present in the inner nose. Due to the heat, the membranes get cracked which eventually results in bleeding.
- Allergic and non-allergic rhinitis, high blood pressure, cold and certain medications trigger nose bleeding. Rhinitis is a condition where an inflammation of the mucus membranes lining the nose occurs.
- Atherosclerosis disorder is a condition which form fatty deposits blocking the blood flow may cause nose bleeding. This condition is also known as the Arteriosclerotic Vascular disease(ASVD).
- In some cases, sudden rise and fall of temperature in the body causes nose bleeding.
- In order to stop the bleeding, pinch the nostril firmly between your thumb and index finger for 10-15 minutes as soon as the nose starts bleeding.
- Swab the membranes of the nostrils with the help of a thick lubricant if the bleeding occurs due to dryness of mucus and this will prevent the nose from further bleeding.
- Wrap a cold ice pack in a towel and apply it on the nose bridge to prevent the nose from bleeding.
- Keep the head high for sometime for the blood to clot and to prevent any further bleeding.
- If the bleeding is continuous for more than 10-15 minutes, then consult a doctor for immediate medical treatment.