What Causes Blood Blisters in the Mouth?
Blood blisters in mouth are different from the normal blisters. They contain other kind of body fluids too along with blood. They are usually formed when the blood vessels that are present under the outermost skin layer tear and this can result in the formation of blood blisters. They can be painful and can interfere while eating food and chewing food becomes very difficult. Eating hot food may also cause severe pain. They can be formed in any part of the mouth and are not just restricted to the cheeks. They look like pimples and can sometimes be seen on teeth, gums and tongue too. People suffering from this condition may find difficulties while brushing. Read to know more about the causes and treatment for this condition.
Blood Blisters in the Mouth Causes
Blood blisters are formed due to injury, skin infections or damage to the surface of the skin. Chewing of hard food items can lead to blood blisters in the mouth. The following are the few causes of this condition.
- Oral Ulcers: Usually, an ulcer is referred to as an open wound which is formed inside the mouth and this occurs due to the invasion of micro organisms. Sometimes, blood blisters are caused due to the skin infections caused as a side effect of medications. Ulcers are of two types they are: Canker sores and Cold sores. Canker sores cause blood blisters inside the mouth.
- Food Allergies: Most of the people are allergic to certain foods and this may sometimes result in blood blisters after eating. Citrus food causes mouth problems and the best way to prevent blisters is by avoiding such kind of food.
- Nutritional Deficiency: Blisters in the mouth may be caused due to lack of vitamins in the diet. Vitamin C and B12 can be useful in preventing the formation of blood blisters present in the mouth.
- Drugs: Usage of certain medications can cause allergic reaction which in turn leads to blood blisters inside mouth.
- Alcohol Abuse: Consumption of alcohol in large amount can lead to ulceration which causes blood blisters in the mouth.
Medical treatment for blood blisters in the mouth is not needed in most of the cases. The best way to treat blood blisters is to allow them to heal by themselves naturally. People suffering from this condition can take a look at the below pointers to know how to prevent these blisters from getting infected.
- Consult a doctor if you are experiencing frequent blood blisters in mouth.
- Avoid squeezing or bursting of the blister as this may cause bacterial infections and longer recovery time. This may even cause severe pain, therefore, allow the area to get healed naturally.
- Ginger has anti-inflammatory properties that will help in treating this condition quickly.