How to Recover After Donating Blood
Most of the people feel dizzy or faint after donating blood. These conditions are usually caused due to the less circulation of blood to the brain. This happens as the heart takes some time to supply fresh blood to the body and to replace the blood donated by the person. People suffering from conditions like this can follow few precautions to recover after donating blood.
Some people feel cold after donating blood as their body may be sensitive to the blood loss. It is always important for people to take certain measures before donating blood. He/she should make it a point to eat and drink lots of fluids before donating blood. They should avoid the intake of aspirin or products containing it.
Recovery Tips after Blood Donation
The following tips will help a person to recover immediately after donating blood.
- Water: It is important for the person to drink 2 glasses of water 1 hour before blood donation. This helps a lot for people who tend to faint after the donation process. This also helps in reducing the chances of lightheadedness and also increases the blood circulation to the brain.
- Beverages: He/she should make it a point to consume additional beverages after donating blood during the entire day. Make sure that the beverages are non alcoholic. The hydration levels of the body can be known with the help of urine color. If the color of the urine is dark then it is an indication that that the body requires more of liquids.
- Foods: The donor should eat full meals just few hours after blood donation as the food taken helps in rebuilding the volume of iron levels, red blood cells and plasma.
- Iron: It is important for the person to eat foods rich in iron for a week after donating blood. Include foods like green leafy vegetables, meat, organic meats, whole grains and dried fruits in your diet.
What to Do?
Make sure that you avoid heavy lifting for at least two days after blood donation. Take plenty of rest if you feel tired after donating blood as the body rebuilds the lost blood during the sleep. Most people prefer giving blood only at the time of any medical emergencies. Most people are very nervous about giving their blood. But there is nothing to fear about. You have to take a step ahead and the rest will be done by your blood bank professionals. You can also go for medical counsellings.
Once you prepare yourself it would be very easy to donate. Preparing yourself is the most difficult part even more difficult than donating blood. Healthy meals, comfortable clothing, plenty of sleep are most required. Your body demands proper hydration and patience before, after and also during the donation.
Tips to Avoid Sickness
As per the American Red Cross, the following plans are recommended.
- Sleep: You must have a good sleep the night before donation. Else if you are tired, your levels of hormones will be imbalanced. If you are donating for the first time, then lack of sleep can increase the level of anxiety in you. You can even feel more nervous after spending sleepless nights.
- Food And Drink: You must not deviate from your healthy meal plans and also drink water in plenty prior to donation. Because your body will definitely need extra nutrients to replenish the loss after a donation. You can suffer from a low blood pressure if your body is not hydrated and may be barred from donating. The foods you consume must be rich in iron (be it greens or meats). If you have a low count of iron levels in your blood, then you may be anemic. Anemia may cause severe bleeding problems. So you may again be barred from donating blood.
- Proper Clothing: You must wear clothes in which you are comfortable. But avoid wearing full sleeves. Your arm must be uncovered. If you are comfortable only with full sleeves then you must be able to pull it up when required. Lightweight shoes or sneakers are ideal to make your movement very comfortable afterwards.
- Be Patient: Do not rush in hurry after donation. You may faint or feel sick. Lie down for few minutes and give your body sufficient time to recover the blood loss feeling. Even if a small amount of blood is taken, still lie peacefully without getting up very quickly. Eat and drink whatever your blood bank professional offers you. Mostly foods rich in sugar are given to prevent shock and restore your body glucose levels. Avoid driving after donating blood. Always get accompanied by a friend or family to drive you home.
- Recovery: In most cases you will be given an instruction sheet followed by your donation. Else you must remember a couple of things that are very important. You must eat and drink in plenty but healthy for days following a donation. Never skip meals and do eat whenever you are hungry. Your body will take some time to recover but nothing to worry about. Take rest for a few days. Avoid physical exhaustion.
Can Donating Blood be Good?
A single donation of blood can be split into 3 separate components (RBCs, plasma and platelets). Thus, can help improve the lives and save lives. A premature baby needs not more than 3 tsps of blood for its life. The following patients demands blood each year:
- Haemorrhage due to casualties,
- Surgery, various surgical procedures and labours,
- Haemophilic patients,
- Chemotherapy and radiation therapy,
- Chronic Anaemia,
- Malignancy Thalassemic patients,
- Sickle-cell anemia,
- Bone Marrow transplantation,
- Neonatal jaundice,
- Cardiac and blood vessels disease,
- Gastrointestinal tract disease
The following article also explains about benefits, tattoos and blood donation.
Benefits To A Donor By Donating Blood
- Blood donation is very helpful in the process of renewal of blood. It is a very healthy habit. Once the amount of blood is reduced after donation, the bone marrow produces new cells.
- Only 7.5% (370-400ml) of the total volume of blood in a healthy adult is donated which can be renewed in a very short time span.
- You will get your health screened fully and blood tested free. The results will be confidential.
- Giving blood regularly can prevent heart diseases. Excess amounts of iron can lead to heart disease. Donating blood also reduces the iron content in the body. Thereby, preventing the chances of heart diseases.
- Donating blood would give us utmost satisfaction and happiness.
- Blood donation helps in fighting a genetic disorder by name hemochromitosis. The iron accumulates in the tissues when the metabolism of iron is improper.This often leads to damages in organs.
- Donation of 1 pint (450ml) of blood can burns 650 calories.
- You will stand as an example making a difference in your community to help others.
- Development of a connection and a sense of commitment with your local community.
Tattoos and Blood Donation
Most of the people have a misconception that they cannot donate blood after getting a tattoo done which is wrong. People can still donate blood even after getting a tattoo done. People who sport tattoos have to wait for 12 months to donate blood to ensure that the person is free from blood borne diseases. These conditions can be caused due to usage of unsanitary equipment. However, there are some tattoo parlors where the health department personnel inspect the facilities and the place. People who get tattooed from such places can donate blood immediately.
It always advisable for people who sport tattoos to wait for at least a week before donating blood though they can donate immediately, as body art may cause low-level inflammation. People who get tattooed again within a year are not eligible to donate blood in most of the states as part of their rules.
Eligibility Guidelines for Donating Blood
People who sport tattoos should follow certain guideline for donating blood and they are:
- People are suggested to wait for 12 months after tattoo application if the tattoo is applied in a parlor that does not regulate the facilities before donating blood. This is done as a concern about hepatitis and other blood borne pathogens.
- You will be asked several questions about your current health status, sexual history along with the tattoo details.
- The blood donated is screened for diseases like Syphilis, HIV and different kinds of Hepatitis before using it.
- Although body art is safe, there are chances for the blood to get contaminated with many blood borne ailments due to the usage of unsanitary and unsterilized equipment by the tattoo artist.
- If there are any chances of the person sporting tattoos of contracting diseases, it will show up in the screening after 12 months.
- It is better to donate blood before getting a tattoo done for people who want to sport a tattoo and at the same time want to donate blood for a good cause.
- People can choose a hygienic parlor where the facilities are already inspected by the health care providers.