High White Blood Cell Count in Urine
Leukocytes is the medical term used for white blood cells (WBC) and they play an important role in fighting against different kinds of infectious agents like fungi, viruses and bacteria in the body. They also play an important role in maintaining a good immune system and are produced in the bone marrow.
The presence of high white blood cell count in urine can be caused due to bacterial infection. Urine of a person does not contain leukocytes as the kidneys filter the blood removing the excretes and waste materials from the blood. Kidneys do not allow the white blood cells to enter the urine while filtering the blood. Pyuria is the medical term used for the presence of high white blood cell count in urine.
Leukocytes Esterase Test
The presence of white blood cells in urine can be known by conducting a particular test known as Leukocytes esterase test. This is a kind of urine test usually conducted by taking clean early morning urine samples of a person for screening. Read to know about the possible causes of this condition if this test show positive results.
Causes High White Blood Cell Count in Urine
- Urinary Tract Infections (UTI): This is the most common cause of high white blood cell count in urine as this is related to the infections that occur in the urinary system. UTI mainly occurs when the bacteria enters the opening of the urethra due to various reasons. This may cause few more symptoms like burning sensation and pain while urinating along with the presence of high white blood cells in urine.
- Bladder Infections: The most important part of the urinary system is the bladder and it can be infected due to the presence high WBC. Bladder infections can cause few other symptoms like burning sensation, pain and change in the color of the urine. This may occur due to pregnancy disorders, sexual intercourse and bladder clearance.
- Kidney Infections: This is another reason for causing high WBC’s in urine. These infections usually start in the urinary system and may spread to the kidneys gradually. Infected kidneys may not filter the waste particles from the blood leading to this condition.
- The condition of high white blood cell count in urinecan be caused if a person holds his/her urine for a longer period of time as this leads to over stretching of the bladder, weakening it further to empty itself completely.
- The left over urine in the bladder can lead to infections and formation of bacteria resulting in the presence of high white blood cells in the body.
- Tumor, stones in kidneys and obstruction in the urinary tract can also cause this condition.
- Consult a doctor immediately if you observe the above mentioned symptoms.