Red Blood Spots Under the Skin
Many people suffer from tiny red blood spots under the skin and they look scary sometime. These are caused due to many non fatal reasons. This can usually happen due to bleeding which occurs under the skin surface. Sometimes, rupture or damage to the blood vessels can be a reason for this condition.
These blood spots can be petechiae that is tiny spots just like pinpoints and this can be due to blood vessel damage. They can also be purpura which are usually caused when the blood gets collected under the skin in a large flat area and they may also look purplish red. This condition can be caused due to several reasons and a few of them are discussed below. You can also take a look at the causes and treatment for red blood dots that occur on the skin.
The following are a few causes for the presence of red blood spots under the skin.
- Injury: This is considered as the most common reason for this condition. Trauma due to an injury is also another reason for causing red blood spots. This can happen due to a harsh or forceful hit on the body damaging the blood vessels in that particular area resulting in these spots.
- Aging: This is another reason which makes the skin more sensitive further causing this condition. This is caused as the fat present under the skin reduces making the skin extremely prone to internal bleeding and damage.
- Medical Treatment: Certain medicines can result in internal bleeding further leading to red blood spots. Steroids, blood thinners and aspirin can cause this condition.
- Infections: Viral infections can result in blood clotting and this can eventually lead to this condition.
- Leukemia: Unexplained purpura and blood clotting can be related to the condition of leukemia. Chemotherapy and radiation used for this condition can cause red blood spots.
- Thrombocytopenia: This condition occurs in people suffering from low platelet count. This can result in poor blood clotting system as they play a major role in blood clotting further resulting in internal bleeding and this condition
- Septicemia: This condition is considered as a very serious issue and occurs due to the presence of bacteria. Septicemia also affects central nervous system, abdomen, lungs, heart, bones and urinary tract. This condition can also show symptoms like red blood spots, chills and fever.
- Malnutrition: Lack of certain essential vitamins like Folic acid, iron, vitamin B12, K etc. can be the reason behind this condition.
- Blood Disorder: Hemophilia and Von Willebrand’s blood disorders can cause this condition. These blood disorders can be caused due to family history as well and require immediate medical attention.
- Autoimmune Disorders: These disorders affect the immune system weakening it and destroying the healthy tissues in the body. The damaged blood vessels can cause red blood spots.
It is very important for a person suffering from red blood spots under the skin to seek medical attention as early as possible.
Causes of Red Blood Dots on Skin
Red blood dots on skin can be caused due to several reasons and exposure to the UV rays is the most common reason. Read on to know more about other causes as well.
- Petechiae: The condition of red dots on skin is a clear indication of the condition of petechiae. This condition usually occurs when the blood vessels present under the skin get damaged spilling out the blood in the inner skin layers. This results in the accumulation of blood in particular skin areas. This condition is mostly observed on feet and ankles. This can also occur when the body suffers from lack of platelets as they play an important role in blood clotting process.
- Platelet Deficiency: There are several factors that lead to this condition and platelet deficiency is another reason and is medically termed as thrombocytopenia. This condition is mostly seen in people suffering from rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, measles or leukemia.
- Cherry Angioma: The medical term used for this condition is cherry angioma which occurs due to clumping of dilated blood vessels. This condition mostly occurs in the top skin layers. This condition is mostly seen in elderly people and they may become severe along with the age. However, they are harmless and may not require any kind of treatment.
- Sun Exposure: Too much exposure to the ultraviolet rays can lead to this condition. It can also lead to other skin problems and hyperpigmentation. This condition looks similar to rash but is not a heat rash.
- The condition of red blood dots on skin can be treated according to the underlying cause of this condition.
- Usage of sunscreen lotions before stepping out the house can help you overcome this condition.
- The condition of petechiae requires immediate medical attention and cherry angioma can be treated with the help of cryotherapy.
- Application of liquid nitrogen will also be of great help in overcoming this condition.