Blood in Phlegm in the Morning
Many people suffer from coughing blood in phlegm in the morning. This occurs when foreign particles enter the body due to which the immune system tries to expel the mucus from bronchial passages and lungs. This may further force you to cough up phlegm containing blood. Phlegm and mucus produced in the mucus membranes act as the protective mechanism that fight to eradicate foreign invaders from the body.
During this procedure, traces of blood along with the phlegm is seen while it passes the respiratory tract. Coughing up phlegm is seen most commonly in many people. Coughing up phlegm with streaks of blood in it is alarming and requires immediate medical attention. Phlegm with blood in it can sometimes be caused due to nose bleeds. This can also be caused as a symptom of several health conditions like disorders and diseases. Read on to know more about this condition.
Causes of Hemoptysis
The medical term used for the condition of blood in phlegm in the morning is Hemoptysis. This can be mostly caused due to nosebleeds, lung diseases or any other respiratory tract disease. A person who suffering from frequent hemotypsis should consult a doctor immediately and should also get them examined.
Bleeding which occurs through the respiratory tract can be the main reason which is responsible for causing hemoptysis. Allergies and severe strep throat can also lead to the rupture of blood vessels present in the respiratory tract resulting in this condition. Hemotypsis can also be due to chronic lung or respiratory conditions like lung cancer, bronchitis, lung abscess, bronchiectasis, lung infections, asthma, tuberculosis, lung fibrosis, emphysema, cystic fibrosis, pulmonary embolism and pneumonia.
This condition is more prominent among people suffering from chronic or acute bronchitis. Recurrent coughing can lead to the irritation of the mucus lining present on the airways leading to this condition. Certain cardiovascular diseases are also responsible for causing this condition. Read on to know more about these causes in detail.
- Bleeding from Respiratory Tract: This condition can be caused due to severe strep infections in throat, nose bleeds and throat bleeds.This is usually caused when the blood vessels present along the lining of the respiratory tracts get ruptured due to allergies. Bleeding from the respiratory tract can be caused due to infections in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Respiratory Conditions: Several chronic lung infections can be the reason for causing this condition and the below are a few of them.
- Lung fibrosis
- Lung abscess
- Cystic fibrosis
- Fungal lung infection
- Ruptured blood vessels in lungs and
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- Lung Cancer: This condition can even cause death of a person in severe cases. Lung cancer is usually seen in people who indulge themselves in long-term smoking. Phlegm in blood, in this case looks extremely thick and is considered as the very first symptom of this condition. This can also cause breathing problems while coughing up the blood. A person suffering from this, should consult a doctor immediately.
- Heart Disorders: A person suffering from cardiovascular diseases can experience this condition as the very first symptom. Mistral stenosis or regurgitation, arteriovenous malformation and congestive heart failure can be a few vavular heart diseases that can cause blood in the phlegm. This condition is seen in the morning as a clear indication of heart diseases.
- Miscellaneous Conditions: Certain conditions like amyloidosis, sarcoidosis and lymphatic disorders can also result in causing this condition. Hemophilia which is a bleeding disorder, thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura, thrombocytopenia which are coagulation disorders result in causing blood in phlegm. Certain medications are also responsible for causing this condition.
How Does This Occur?
Phlegm usually occurs when the immune system of a person responds naturally to the presence of any kind of irritants in the body. Phlegm passes through the respiratory tract and may get tinged with the blood when a person suffers from lung infections. This condition can usually occur anywhere along the respiratory tract. This symptom is considered as an indication of a problem in the respiratory tract.
A person suffering from this condition can be a symptom of certain health conditions like the following.
- Lungs or Respiratory tract problems
- Congestive heart failure
- Mistral stenosis
- Arteriovenous malformation
- Mistral regurgitation and
- Certain cardiovascular diseases
- The condition of blood in phlegm in the morning can be treated depending on the causes of the condition.
- It is always advisable to consult a doctor as soon as you observe a change in the phlegm color as the color of phlegm plays an important role in determining certain lung diseases.
- Make sure that you inform your doctor if you are suffering from rapid breathing, breathing difficulty, cough and tightness in chest.
- Certain blood tests will help in diagnosing the cause of this condition.
- Usage of medications also help in treating this condition.
- Avoid smoking in order to prevent further complications and drink plenty of water as it prevents dehydration. Drinking water also helps in strengthening the immune system.