Hematoma after Surgery
Postoperative hematoma is the medical term used for the condition of hematoma after surgery. This usually occurs due to the collection of blood at a certain localized area of surgery. There are chances for it to develop immediately after a few hours from surgery. This can happen due to the damage of blood vessels in and around that area and also due to the patient’s poor aftercare as well. The condition of hematoma can occur after a few surgeries such as the following.
- Dental surgery
- Face lift surgery
- C-section surgery
- Breast augmentation
- Cholecystectomy and
This article also explains about the subdural hematoma.
Symptoms of Postoperative Hematoma
- A person suffering from hematoma after surgery may experience certain symptoms like feeling of fullness and pain in the area which is affected.
- Sometimes, the skin around this area may turn into deep purple blue color.
- In most of the cases, bleeding is either minimal or it may reabsorb or stop on its own with the help of blood clotting mechanism.
- Dying of the skin can also be observed if it does not receive proper oxygen or if the tissues in the affected area get compressed.
- Necrosis which occurs due to the death of the blood cells, wound separation and infection can also be observed.
What Causes this Condition?
- Mishap during the time of surgery is considered as one of the major causes of this condition.
- Intake of certain medications or drugs like aspirin and other blood thinners or heparin under inappropriate administration before surgery can also lead to this condition.
- Hypertension and bleeding disorders are other reasons for causing this condition.
Treatment for Postoperative Hematoma
- The treatment for hematoma after surgery may completely depend on the severity of the condition.
- The condition of mild hematoma heals or dissolves on its own a few days after the surgery.
- A surgery may be required in order to treat the hematoma if it gets enlarged. It is required to clamp the blood vessels if the bleeding continues and to drain the accumulated blood.
- Anti-inflammatory drugs like acetaminophen or ibuprofen and analgesics can be used to get relief from discomfort and pain.
- Blood clots can be diluted by using a few blood thinners.
- You can use cold or ice packs at home for contusions or bruises few times in a day will be of great help.
- Apply warm towels with gentle heat, heating pad or a hot water bottle on the area as it helps in lowering hemorrhage which is bleeding and swelling which is edema.
- However, consult a doctor if there are no changes in the severity of the condition.
The medical term used for blood accumulation under the skin surface is Hematoma. This can be due to several reasons like traumatic falls or injuries and accidents. Subdural hematoma is a type of hematoma which occurs within the skull region. This condition usually occurs when blood clots inside the subdural space, and the following article may explain more about subdural hematoma symptoms.
Symptoms of Subdural Hematoma
The following are a few symptoms of this condition that are commonly experienced by a person suffering from it.
- Loss of consciousness
- Slurred speech
- Visual disturbance
- Loss of appetite
- Weakness of limbs
- Vomiting and
Children suffering from this condition may experience symptoms like bulging spots on the skull, feeding difficulties, irritability, drowsiness, focal seizures, lethargy and vomiting.
Causes of Subdural Hematoma
This can be caused due to brain injury mostly and this condition can be both chronic and acute depending on the severity. Bleeding due to an injury in the subdural space also can lead to this condition. Blood disorders are also one of the reasons for causing this condition.
Treatment for Subdural Hematoma
- This condition can be treated mainly depending on the diagnosis reports. Blood tests and other tests like MRI and CT scan are also suggested.
- The size of the hematoma can be diagnosed with the help of repeated scanning.
- Usually this condition is treated by removing the blood clots by drilling small holes in the skull.
- Sometimes, this condition can develop right after a surgery also and this can be treated by removing a drainage of blood or craniotomy is used if the case is severe.
- Painkillers and anti-inflammatory drugs can be used to treat or overcome this condition.
- Doctor may prescribe anti-convulsion drugs if a person is suffering from severe seizures.
- Certain lifestyle changes like avoiding alcohol and cigarettes may help in overcoming this condition.
- Blood thinners can also be used for subdural hematoma.
- Consult a doctor immediately if you have a severe head injury to avoid fatal complications.
This was about hematoma after surgery and subdural hematoma. People suffering hematoma should take proper care for quick recovery.