Natural Ways to Lower Blood Sugar Levels
A person generally suffers from the condition of high blood glucose levels due to the presence of excess amounts of sugar or glucose in his/her blood. However, there are several natural ways to lower blood sugar levels. Patients suffering from this condition should follow proper diet for balancing the blood sugar levels. They should eat foods that lower sugar levels in the blood.
Certain lifestyle changes will also help in lowering this condition. A person suffering from this condition should avoid consumption of foods that are rich in sugars or glucose or foods that convert to glucose quickly or which raise the blood sugar levels.
Controlling the blood sugar levels is considered as the simple way to live a healthier and longer life. Foods rich in fat content lower the insulin resistance. Read on to know various other ways that help in lowering the blood sugar levels effectively and also know how to maintain your sugar levels during a fast.
Tips to Lower Blood Sugar Naturally
Blood sugar levels in a person rise when the his/her body does not produce sufficient amounts of insulin. The following are a few tips that will help you lower blood sugar levels naturally.
- Regular Exercise: Most of the people suffer from this condition due to obesity problems and losing weight is the best way to treat this condition completely. For this, exercise is the best and natural way that helps in lowering the blood sugar levels effectively. Walking is very important for people suffering from fluctuating blood sugar levels. Regular exercise will also help in fighting various infections as well. Half an hour of regular walking will help you maintain normal blood sugar levels. Include jogging, walking, aerobics, yoga and bicycling in your daily exercise regime, as these forms of physical activities help in keeping your body fit. Make sure you consult a doctor before taking up strenuous physical activities.
- Small Meals: Eat small meals for every two to three hours in the entire day as this helps in supplying the required energy for the body and also maintains balanced sugar levels. Include fat, proteins and carbs in your diet. Avoid eating heavy meals during nights as they may increase the blood sugar levels.Include foods such as turkey, skinless chicken, fish, low-fat dairy products, whole grains, oatmeal, beans, garlic, flaxseed, cinnamon, barley, huckleberries, onions, leafy vegetables, raw vegetables, soy milk, tofu, sweet potatoes, avocados, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, macadamia nuts, almonds, lemon and cherries that can have positive effects on the blood sugar levels.Lower the consumption of foods like white potatoes, aerated drinks, white rice, cereal, white flour bread, high-fat cheese, whole milk, eggs, cookies, pastries, cakes and candies in your diet as they help in producing glucose levels in the body immediately. Drink plenty of water, avoid smoking, alcohol, coffee and foods rich in sodium.
- Carbohydrates: Processed foods such as refined flour, cakes, candy, baked foods, soda and cookies consist of simple carbohydrates. These may increase the blood sugar levels as they enter the blood stream. Avoid consumption of such foods, instead, include fresh fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet in order lower this condition.
- Sugar: A person suffering from diabetes should make it a point to reduce the intake of sugars in his/her diet. Reduce the intake of foods that are rich in sugar and instead, eat foods that taste sweet. It is recommended to replace sugar with jaggery as this helps in lowering this condition. Use sugar-free cubes instead of crystal sugar if you feel that your sugar levels have increased. Artificial softeners also help in treating this condition.
- Green Tea: Consumption of unsweetened green tea regularly will help in reducing the glucose levels in the blood. One cup of green tea everyday will help in keeping the condition of high blood sugar levels at bay.You can also opt for unsweetened black tea instead of green tea as it has equal effects on the blood sugar levels as well. Add cinnamon sticks to the tea for better results and this works well for a glowing skin.
- Decaf Coffee: Consumption of decaf coffee has more beneficial effects on blood sugar than the normal coffee. A cup of decaf coffee everyday will help in maintaining normal blood sugar levels.
- Fiber Rich Food: Foods with low glycemic index will help in lowering the condition of high blood sugar. Include fiber rich foods such as vegetables, oatmeal, peas, beans, brans, fruits etc, in your diet. Avoid foods that are made of refined flour and fast food.
- Proteins: Eating protein rich foods will also lower blood sugar levels. Include white meat or lean meat in your diet. Consuming low fat cheese, milk or diary products will also be of great help.
- Herbs: Aloe vera is a natural herb that has effective results on blood sugar. Certain herbs such as fenugreek, ginger root, cinnamon bark, bitter melon, American ginseng, turmeric etc, are known to lower sugar levels in the blood.
- Cinnamon: The best way a person can lower blood sugar levels is by taking cinnamon regularly. Two teaspoons of cinnamon taken along with yogurt may have positive effects. This can also be taken in the form of capsules.
- Diabetic Vitamins: A person suffering from this condition should take diabetic vitamins once or twice in a day as they help in treating this condition. These vitamins consist of an ingredient known as Chromium that plays a major role in lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Vinegar: This plays an important role in lowering the blood sugar levels naturally. Vinegar has a natural substance that helps in lowering the blood sugar levels. Add two teaspoons of vinegar in starch meal to lower this condition quickly.
- Alcohol: Restrict yourself from alcohol if you want to maintain normal blood sugar levels. It is always advisable to limit alcohol consumption as the sugar levels in it may disrupt the normal glucose levels in the body.
Now that we know about the natural ways, let us take a look at the foods that help in lowering the blood glucose levels.
- Kidney Beans: These are also known as French beans and they are rich in fiber content. They also contain proteins along with complex carbohydrates. These beans are recommended for people suffering from high blood sugar levels as they play a major role in lowering the blood sugar levels.
- Brussel Sprout: This sprout is very famous and effective in lowering this condition. Brussel sprout juice helps in maintaining normal blood sugar levels naturally. These sprouts mixed with an equal portion of French beans juice works wonders in treating this condition. It stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin which in turn helps in lowering this condition.
- Bean Decoction: This is one of the most effective medicines used for treating this condition. This can be prepared by boiling 100 gms of fresh beans in 7 liters of water for approximately 4 hours. Strain the boiled mixture and leave it in a cool dry place. Drink one glass of this decoction daily for about half a month for best results.
- Lettuce: According to American Diabetes Association, lettuce helps in lowering the cholesterol levels naturally preventing the condition of high blood sugar level. It also contains 3% of carbohydrates.
- Soybean: They are rich in nutrients and also keep a check on the glucose levels in the body. They also regulate and increase the urine glucose level.
Blood Sugar Fasting Levels
Fasting can be used as a test for diabetes. After fasting, blood glucose levels are measured by conducting carbohydrate metabolism test. Blood glucose levels are high in diabetic patients when compared to people without diabetes. This article gives some tips to maintain blood sugar fasting levels. The following are a few tips that will help in maintaining normal blood sugar levels during fasting too.
- Decrease the bedtime blood sugar levels if it is more than 130 mg/dL or 7 mmol/L. It is one of the best effective method.
- Try to take small bedtime snacks. There are chances for the liver to release sugar into the bloodstream if you do not eat. Suddenly the liver gets more excited overnight, especially with type 2 diabetes patients and releases more sugar into the bloodstream.
- This can be prevented by eating a little amount of carbohydrate foods like milk, yogurt, starch and fruit. Try to take smaller and healthier snacks. However, it may not be effective for everyone.
- Try to exercise in the evening or indulge yourself in some kind of activity.
- Remember to take diabetic medications in time to avoid raise of blood sugar levels in the morning.
- Check the blood sugar levels before breakfast.
- During the night make sure that blood sugar levels are not lower than normal range.
- Try to have better sleep in the night. If you do not sleep well your blood sugar levels may not be in normal range the next morning. You may have problems like depression, stress and painful diabetic neuropathy.
- Reduce evening stress. Stress affects the liver and changes the normal blood sugar level.
- Try to have your breakfast early.
- Prefer insulin pump therapy. It helps to fulfil basic insulin needs overnight and improves fasting sugars.